Saturday, May 3, 2014

"No pasa nada"

I've come to love this phrase. It literally means "nothing happened" but it's used more like "no big deal" or "it's ok". I use it quite frequently. Like at the restaurant last night where they charged me for food I didn't buy. I pointed it out to the server. She apologized. I said "no pasa nada."  

But I'm choosing to embrace the "no pasa nada" mentality for the unfortunate string of events that have recently occurred. I'll give you three examples.

1) I just discovered my debit card number AND pin were swiped sometime in the last month. 10 separate transactions worth $1550 were made at various ATMs in Lima, Peru from April 27-30. I left Lima on April 9. But, after 30 minutes on the phone, I'm confident Capital One 360 has my back. I hope. No pasa nada. 

2) My Achilles' tendon is no longer attached to my right foot the way it should be. The extent of the damage is unknown to me at this point and I'm not sure when I will have further knowledge as I consider my medical options at this point.  But I'm guessing I look pretty ridiculous as I attempt to walk judging by stares I get from almost everyone and the occasional suggestion from total strangers that I go see a doctor.  I've taken the first step (no pun intended) by finding a list of orthopedic surgeons recommended by the US Embassy in Guatemala and may consider paying them a visit on Monday to see the extent of the damage. If I wait until I arrive home, I will no longer be covered by my travelers insurance.  Anyone know anything about getting health insurance on the cheap in the States? I hear there is some wildly popular plan in place. 

But that's the boring stuff. You probably want to know how my Achilles' tendon became damaged.  Well, it started back in 1994. My family went on a cruise to celebrate my mom's 40th birthday, a gift from my Grandma B & Pa. I spent much of the time with the "teen club" which included nightly visits to the disco. It was there that Melanie Paffinger from 3 Lady Slipper Lane (we were pen pals for a few months - hence the memorable address being engraved on memory) taught me this super sweet dance move. I can't really describe it to you and I will never again show it to anyone as the dance move that should have been retired in 1999 resurfaced on April 30, 2014 with tragic results. All I know is that I was confident that someone kicked me as hard as they could, right in my Achilles. I tried to play it cool in the middle of the disco (which happened to be in a cave), but that lasted all of 30 seconds as I could barely stand. Since then, I've come to believe that no one kicked me, it was just the sensation of my Achilles snapping (or tearing in an effort to be more optimistic).  I paid a visit to webmd.com and have done my best to carry out the RICE method of tending to injuries. Rest has happened on long bus rides and flights.  Ice is a little hard to come by in some parts of the developing world. A tank top has sufficed for Compression. And I'm Elevating the foot as we speak... as the swelling has come to its worst on day 3.  All I know is that 3 weeks from today I will be wearing some sweet cowboy boots for my brother's wedding and that is non-negotiable. Well, as long as my foot agrees. No pasa nada. 

3) Let's just say I have some passport issues.  These issues require that I visit the US Embassy in Guatemala City on Monday to apply for a replacement passport.  Looks like Monday is going to be a busy day. No pasa nada. 

And truly, maybe sabbatical has caught up to me, as each of these events could be seen as rather significant inconveniences. But somehow, the peace that surpasses all understanding is upon me at the moment. I'll embrace that too.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, We live in Guatemala and our brother is Pastor Lyall at Bethany in Peoria. We have a suggestion for an orthopedic surgeon. My husband had surgery on his shoulder here in Guatemala by this doctor. Email us and we will see how we can help. nvsuttons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete