Sunday, August 4, 2013

Living the Dream

This past year, my mom asked me what I would do with my life if money were no object. My immediate response was this: Each day I'd read through my favorite cookbooks and plan a menu, go to the grocery store (I LOVE going to grocery stores... even if I have nothing to buy... weird, I know) and then invite a handful of people to dinner. 

This summer, I've been able to live out this dream.  My Monday routine has been to find out what mom and dad have on their calendars for the week, plan meals accordingly, then go to the store for the shopping for the week. (Although not expected of me, this was my offer in exchange for "room and board" this summer). Below is a sampling of some of the menus I've made. 

Grilled Salmon with Quick Blueberry Pan Sauce, Roasted Carrots with Dill and a Simple Salad

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Salsa, Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Halibut and Pea Puree

Fig and Thyme Jam, Roasted Chicken with Herb and Garlic Pan Drippings, Creamy Rice Grits with Tomato Relish, Late-Summer Greens Saute and Pots de Creme with Riesling-Poached Grapes

Ribs, Tagliatelle with Corn Pesto, Chopped Salad and a Lemon Trifle

And I've cataloged all of the menus recipes and pictures on Evernote Food, an awesome tool for my organizational/OCD self. 

But today, I had the opportunity to work with my mom to plan a pretty special gathering... An engagement party... for my little brother, Luke and his fiancee, Rachel!  Luke proposed to Rachel last night on the hole of the 8th green at WeaverRidge, which is right behind my parents house. 


Being the thoughtful guy he is, Luke had asked my mom and I to plan this party a few weeks ago.  Rachel is staying in Illinois for the month before heading to Guatemala for 3 months while Luke heads back to Dallas. Today was the only day that both their families would be together and he knew that this event was important to Rachel so we had to seize the opportunity. Mom and I got to work and this is what the final product looked like. 

Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Lemon Raspberry Cake (from Trefzger's), (Luke made the Apple Pie in the pic for the Proposal); I forgot to take a picture of the cheese plate, Goat Cheese Cucumber sandwiches and Mango Chutney and Cheddar sandwiches

But more important than the party, I'm super psyched for the life Luke and Rachel are beginning together. Their story is a sweet one, and I'm excited to see how it will continue to unfold. Here is the story in a nutshell... 


AND, I'm excited to have another awesome sister-in-law. 

To Luke and Rachel... May you "live the dream" with the help of one another and The Lord. And may many be blessed by your life together. 

"Delight yourself in The Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Ash, I found it, and your blog is awesome!! I just love all the engagement photos and words of description. What a treasure for them - and all the family!! If I offer you room and board, could you come put your creative culinary talents to work in my (your Aunt Dar's) kitchen??? HA HA Loved spending time with you and your mom today! Clair Kaufman

    ReplyDelete